Participants of the Miller Arts Scholars actively engaged in the College of Arts and Sciences, either through majoring or minoring in the college or through ongoing and measurable coursework within an artistic discipline in the college are eligible for one Artists Minigrant per academic year. Grants will be determined based on need, quality of application, and level of participation in the program. There is a maximum of 10, $500.00 Artists Minigrants available each semester. Artists Minigrants should be used to support requests that are not part of a larger project or already being supported by outside funding. Participants may apply throughout the academic year until all Artists Minigrants have been issued. Minigrants will be funded in full to student information system (SIS) accounts. The deadline for submitting a proposal during the fall semester is just before fall reading days and during the spring semester just before spring recess. Funded proposals will be announced within two weeks of these deadlines and funds will be deposited within a reasonable processing time after that.
Artist Minigrants Support:
- Registration fees/Travel Expenses for arts related conferences and workshops for additional training in an artistic discipline. This excludes tuition or pursuit of a particular academic degree. Fees or costs associated with serving as a presenter at a conference will not be supported.
- Field work related to an artistic discipline
- Consumable supplies for creating new works of art. Minor equipment/technology purchases, especially when related to supplies will be considered.
- Educational materials
- Materials that promote applicant’s art. These items will include new websites, brochures, flyers, mailers, DVD, CD, etc.
- Artist Minigrants cannot be used as a method to reimburse expenses incurred prior to an applicant’s submission of a request.
- Arts Awards funding may not be used to provide direct payment for services to other University of Virginia students, faculty or staff.
- Grants will be determined based on need, quality of application, and level of participation in the program
- Applicants must complete Artist Minigrant Application Form. Please save the document as pdf and name like "lastnamefirstname_application.pdf."
- Applicants must attach current resume. Please save the document as pdf and name like "lastnamefirstname_resume.pdf."
- Your application must include a proposal statement/request with the following:
- Project Title
- The nature of the research and the need for support
- The objectives, significance, how the work will be conducted, and a time schedule for completion.
- A detailed budget
- The proposal may include images and media links and should not exceed 3 pages, single-spaced, 12-point typeface. These reports will be posted on our Miller Arts Scholars website.
- A separate outcome statement (should project be funded) reporting Minigrant results and expenditures is due within 60 days of receiving funding. The report may include images and media links and should not exceed 3 pages, single-spaced, 12-point typeface. These reports will be posted on our Miller Arts Scholars website. The document should be a pdf and named like “lastnamefirstname_amg_s2021_outcome.pdf.”
- Previous recipients of Artist Minigrants are not eligible until an outcome statement for prior funding is received.
- Artist Minigrants are not available to students during their final semester of study.
- In the fall semester, proposals are due before fall reading days. In the spring semester, proposals are due before spring recess. Funded proposals will be announced within two weeks of these deadlines and funded within a reasonable processing time after that.